Gas poisoning is a common concern in many households equipped with appliances and devices that use gas as the main power supply and that create carbon monoxide as a result of burning the gas. The major risk is the fact that gas poisoning can’t be sensed in any way as it doesn’t have any smell, color, or odor, which means that you only have to pay attention to the symptoms in order to detect any risk of gas poisoning. The lines below will help you recognize the symptoms so you will be able to take action in time.
Recognize the Symptoms of Gas Poisoning Picture

How you can know it’s gas poisoning

The symptoms of gas poisoning include shortness of breath, confusion, nausea, blurred vision, problems in coordination and balance, loss of consciousness, muscle and joint pain, and even the increased urge to urinate. More severe symptoms include tremor, problems in hearing, involuntary muscle twitching, problems in thinking clearly, and sudden changes in body temperature. The moment you detect these symptoms and you know that there are gas-powered items in your house, it’s best to have someone come and check their operating to make sure there are no leaks.
Recognize the Symptoms of Gas Poisoning Picture

Dangers hidden in your house and outside it

  • You might experience gas poisoning at home indoors if you are using gas appliances like a gas dryer or a gas heater. Both of them use natural gas or propane gas as a power supply and they create carbon monoxide that is dangerous if inhaled for a long period of time. It’s best to reduce the use of gas-powered appliances and switch to safer models that use electricity as these are less dangerous for you.
  • Gas poisoning can also happen outdoors in case you stay around gas-powered units for a longer amount of time. If for example, you are using a gas lawn mower in the garden or you have a gas snow blower that you use to remove snow in the winter, chances are you could have health issues caused by the gas they emit. Units that work properly should not pose a risk to your health but there could be malfunctions that could make the machines release carbon monoxide. In case you start feeling dizzy and having troubles coordinating your moves, it’s best to stop what you are doing and have someone check your lawn mower and snow blower.